The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Dundalk Democrat, 29 May 2004:
Ludlow inquest before the end of July
The second inquest into the May 1976 murder of Dundalk man, Seamus Ludlow is expected to be heard before the end of July.
Seamus' body was discovered in a ditch down a laneway close to his Mountpleasant home on May 2 1976, the day after his disappearance. He had been shot three times.
County Coroner Ronan Maguire said this week he hopes to schedule the inquest in the near future despite the fact that not all the information he has requested from Gardai has been made available to him.
The first inquest into the death of Seamus Ludlow was held on August 19 1976. No member of the Ludlow family was present for the hearing.
Retired state pathologist, Dr John Harbison, who gave a deposition at the original inquest has said he will attend this new inquest.
Mr Maguire says that he has requested information on the bullets used in the shooting and a copy of a report into Seamus' death which was compiled in 1998.
No definitive explanation as to what happened to Seamus' clothing has been given.
Mr Maguire added that he has made several requests for information since the second inquest was confirmed in late 2002.
"While I've been told some details verbally, I'm still waiting on definitive information, in writing," he said.
Seamus' family say they had understood two of the three bullets used in Seamus' killing had been sent to Northern Ireland for forensic examination.
While there is a possible three bullets in existence, the Coroner says he has not received information on the forensic tests carried out on them.
"There is a specific number of bullets but I need to know where each one of these is and what tests have been carried out."
He says that while he may not need all the information he has requested, he still wants to receive the details.
"I may not need all of it. It may not be relevant to the inquest, but that is for me to decide."
He added he would be meeting with the Ludlow family's solicitor, James McGuill in the near future to discuss the issue.
I Homepage I I Top I
The Irish Independent, 19 July 2002: Fresh inquest into death of murdered man
The Irish News, 19 July 2002: Family welcome inquest 26 years after murder
The Irish Times, 19 July 2002: New inquest ordered into Louth man's death
The Dundalk Democrat, 20 July 2002: Second inquest to be held into the death of Seamus Ludlow
The Sunday Life, 28 July 2002: Inquest to name Ludlow killers
The Irish Examiner Online - Breaking News, 29 July 2002: Call for public inquiry into 1976 murder
Ulster Television (UTV), online 29 July 2002: Celtic League in demand over murder
The Examiner (formerly The Crossmaglen Examiner), 30 July 2002: Ludlow killers to be named
The Irish News, 6 August 2002: Celtic League to fight on for murder inquiry
The Argus (Dundalk), 23 August 2002: Coroner wants the law changed to compel witnesses to attend inquests
The Irish News, 27 August 2002, Loyalist victim's family call for answers
The Irish News, 29 August 2002: Murder bullets lost, Ludlow family told
Magill Magazine, September 2002:The Truth Trickles Out Mystery has always surrounded the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings. An independent inquiry has been set up to look at the events surrounding the attacks, and the bombing of Dundalk the following year. Donall O Maolfabhail reports on its likely findings.
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 September 2002: Barron investigations lead to public inquiry into Dundalk bombing
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 December 2002: Author identifies those who may have been responsible Book on bombing to be launched on Saturday
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 December 2002: Nearly 30 years on from Dundalk bombing and the fight for justice continues
The Dundalk Democrat, 04 January 2003: A photograph of Joe Tiernan's book launch in Dundalk. (See above Dundalk Democrat 21 December 2002)
Sunday Business Post, 19 January 2003: Dublin-Monaghan: will the truth finally out?
Ulster Television News online, 27 February, 2003: Irish justice group 'furious' over Barron Inquiry
The Irish Examiner online edition, 27 February 2003: Group calls for new Dublin-Monaghan bombings inquiry
The Irish News, 5 March 2003: Family's wait for murder file over
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 March 2003: Ludlow murder: files to be made available
The Irish News, 11 March 2003: Family 'cautious' over inquest progress
The Irish News, 21 March 2003: Loyalist murder inquiry call renewed
The Irish Sun, 26 March 2003: Report on Ludlow to be unveiled
The Daily Irish Star, 26 March 2003: Inquiry into man's murder
The Irish News, 27 March 2003: Government 'will not keep Ludlow secrets'
The Examiner (formerly The Crossmaglen Examiner), 5 August 2003: Victims' families demand truth about collusion
The Dundalk Democrat, 16 August 2003: Date for Ludlow inquest
The Irish News, 7 October 2003: Coroner still awaiting copy of murder report
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003: Inquest could be next January
The Irish News, 20 May 2004: Coroner plans inquest despite Garda hold-up
Copyright © 2004 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: May 30, 2004 .