The Irish News,
7 October 2003:
still awaiting copy of murder report
A coroner due to hold a new inquest into the 1976 death of Co Louth forestry
worker Seamus Ludlow has still not received a copy of an internal Garda report
into the murder investigation.
Co Louth coroner Ronan Maguire yesterday (Monday) confirmed that he had
requested a copy of the 1998 report compiled by Chief Superintendent Ted Murphy.
The Garda chief was ordered to carry out the internal inquiry by the
commissioner following a campaign by Mr Ludlow's relatives.
Mr Maguire, who was instructed to conduct the inquest by the Republic's Attorney
General Rory Brady last year, said that the report was among a number of
documents he had still not received from gardai.
The document, which has never been made public despite calls from the Ludlow
family and human rights groups, is believed to confirm that gardai knew the
names of bachelor's suspected loyalist killers as early as 1979.
It is understood that Mr Murphy concluded that Garda headquarters had received
the suspects' names from the RUC but the information was never acted upon.
Following the completion of the Murphy Report four men were arrested in Northern
Ireland by the RUC and a file was sent to the north's DPP but no prosecutions
Mr Maguire told the Irish News that he had recently received a number of other
documents from gardai, including photographs from the crime scene and the post
He has shown the photographs to the Ludlow family's solicitor, adding that he
believed the gardai were being hampered by the length of time that had elapsed
since the murder. He hopes to meet with gardai later this week to discuss his
request for further documents, including the Garda boss's report.
Mr Maguire said that he hoped that the inquest could be opened before the end of
the year “for the sake of the family who have waited so long for this to
Describing the Coroners Act 1962 as “a little bit restrictive”, Mr Maguire
said that he would be prevented from considering matters of civil or criminal
liability or naming suspected perpetrators.
The victim's nephew Jimmy Sharkey, who was 21 at the time of the murder, last
night expressed doubt that the inquest would take place before Christmas.
“There have been so many delays involving the gardai handing over information
that I couldn't see the inquest happening before Spring 2004,” he said.
Mr Sharkey also said that he was “disappointed but not surprised” that the
coroner had yet to receive a copy of the Murphy Report.
Forty-seven-old Seamus Ludlow was found shot dead on a country lane north of
Dundalk on May 2 1976. He had earlier been abducted after leaving a local pub.
Relatives had called for a fresh inquest after the gardai neglected to inform
them that the original hearing had been scheduled for August 19 1976.
They have also alleged that security forces on both sides of the border worked
together to shield the killers, one of whom they suspect of being a British
I Homepage I I Top
I I Press Coverage I I Barron
Inquiry I I Terms of reference for Barron
Inquiry I I Fresh Inquest I I Celtic
League Support I I New
GuestMap Guest Book.
Argus, 27 August 1976:
Inquest hears of North Louth shooting
County of Intrigue (1979) by the late Michael Cunningham: Quoting from Mr.
Cunningham's account of his private investigation of Seamus Ludlow's murder.
Irish Independent, 19 July 2002: Fresh
inquest into death of murdered man
Irish News, 19 July 2002: Family
welcome inquest 26 years after murder
Dundalk Democrat, 20 July 2002: Second
inquest to be held into the death of Seamus Ludlow
Irish News 5 March 2003: Family's wait for
murder file over
Dundalk Democrat, 8 March 2003: Ludlow
murder: files to be made available
League - LUDLOW KILLING - ANOTHER STEP ON THE ROAD TO JUSTICE? - 08/03/2003
Irish News, 11 March 2003: Family
'cautious' over inquest progress
Dundalk Democrat, 16 August 2003: Date
for Ludlow inquest
© 2003 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: October 08, 2003