The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 July 2002 - The Irish Attorney General has directed the Coroner for County Louth to hold a fresh inquest into the death of Seamus Ludlow.  . . . . Please return for updates and important developments.    This photograph of Seamus Ludlow was taken later in his life.This is a youthful photograph of Seamus Ludlow, taken several years before his murder.This memorial stone marks the place where the dead body of Seamus Ludlow was discovered on Sunday 2nd. May, 1976. This new stone recently replaced another stone.

 

Home

Intro.

Introduction    to the             murder of       Seamus           Ludlow and     the official     cover-up.       

Frequently asked Questions.

Brief Review.

Profile.

Michael Cunningham investigation - 1978

Witness Account 1998

Ludlow Family account 1998.

Chronology.

Photographs.

The recent     Campaign       for Truth and  Justice.          

Latest Reports.

25th Anniversary.

Louth County Council Support.

BIRW Report.

BIRW Update Message.

Irish Victims Commission Report.

Hamilton - Barron  Inquiry

Ludlow family's questions for the RUC (now the PSNI).

Contributors.

Linda Porra's Editorial.

Jim J. Kane's letter to the N I Human Rights Commission.

Jim J. Kane's letter to the RUC

Press Release 

Ed Moloney radio Interview.

Ludlow Family Letter to Bertie Ahern 

Meeting the Police Ombudsman

A Fresh Inquest

Celtic League Support

Press Coverage.

Links.

New guestmap Guest Book

View messages from our original Guestbook

Mailing List

E-Mail Form

Tell a Friend

Search this Site.

 

Other          Ludlow        Family         Sites.          

First Ludlow Site

Domain Name Site

The Dundalk Bombing

 

 

 

Search Allof Ireland.com

 

The Irish News, 21 March 2003:

 

Loyalist murder inquiry call renewed

 

By Valerie Robinson
 
The family of forestry worker Seamus Ludlow has renewed its call for a public inquiry into his murder in 1976. 

Mr Ludlow, who was shot dead by a loyalist gang on the border after leaving a Dundalk pub, is currently the subject of a private inquiry and an inquest.

 Relatives of the 47-year-old bachelor believe that he was targeted by a gang of four loyalists, two of them members of the Ulster Defence Regiment.

 The family last week received a copy of the original garda file on the shooting from Louth County Coroner Ronan Maguire, who is due to conduct an inquest into the killing later this year.

 But the murder victim's nephews Michael Donegan and Jimmy Sharkey last night expressed disappointment with the contents of the file.

 Both men, who have led the campaign for a public inquiry into the murder, claimed that sections of the file were "barely legible" because of frequent photocopying.

 They also said that the files contained little new information that could lead to the conviction of their uncle's killers.

 "The file is full of contradictions and half-truths. It is very unsatisfactory and disappointing for the family because we still feel that we are being kept in the dark. We want to know exactly what happened, why the garda investigation was abandoned after just 19 days and who ordered it to be abandoned.," Mr Donegan said.

 He also said he believed the coroner's work would not be complete without the original RUC file, Mr Ludlow's clothing and the bullets used.

 It has emerged in recent years that the RUC knew the possible identity of the killers but kept the information from investigating gardai until 1979.

I Homepage I I Top I Barron Inquiry I I Terms of reference for Barron Inquiry I I BIRW Report I I Fresh Inquest I I New Guest Book I

Press Reports

The Argus, 27 August 1976: Inquest hears of North Louth shooting

Monaghan County of Intrigue (1979) by the late Michael Cunningham: Quoting from Mr. Cunningham's account of his private investigation of Seamus Ludlow's murder. 

The Argus, special report 30 August 1985: On May 1st 1974, a forestry worker left his home to go for a drink: the following day his bullet riddled body was found. Nine years later we ask: WHO KILLED SEAMUS LUDLOW?

The Irish Independent, 19 July 2002: Fresh inquest into death of murdered man

The Irish News, 19 July 2002: Family welcome inquest 26 years after murder

The Irish Times, 19 July 2002: New inquest ordered into Louth man's death

The Dundalk Democrat, 20 July 2002: Second inquest to be held into the death of Seamus Ludlow

The Irish Examiner Online - Breaking News, 29 July 2002: Call for public inquiry into 1976 murder

The Irish News 5 March 2003: Family's wait for murder file over

The Dundalk Democrat, 8 March 2003: Ludlow murder: files to be made available

Celtic League - LUDLOW KILLING - ANOTHER STEP ON THE ROAD TO JUSTICE? - 08/03/2003

Visitors are welcome to leave messages on our New Guest Book

 

 

Please use one of these

  Click here to Bookmark our Site!  

 Print this page.  

Make us your homepage! Internet Explorer Only.

 

Copyright 2003 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: March 21, 2003 .