The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 July 2002 - The Irish Attorney General has directed the Coroner for County Louth to hold a fresh inquest into the death of Seamus Ludlow.  . . . . Please return for updates and important developments.    This photograph of Seamus Ludlow was taken later in his life.This is a youthful photograph of Seamus Ludlow, taken several years before his murder.This memorial stone marks the place where the dead body of Seamus Ludlow was discovered on Sunday 2nd. May, 1976. This new stone recently replaced another stone.

 

Home

Intro.

Introduction    to the             murder of       Seamus           Ludlow and     the official     cover-up.       

Frequently asked Questions.

Brief Review.

Profile.

Michael Cunningham investigation - 1978

Witness Account 1998

Ludlow Family account 1998.

Chronology.

Photographs.

The recent     Campaign       for Truth and  Justice.          

Latest Reports.

25th Anniversary.

Louth County Council Support.

BIRW Report.

BIRW Update Message.

Irish Victims Commission Report.

Hamilton - Barron  Inquiry

Ludlow family's questions for the RUC (now the PSNI).

Contributors.

Linda Porra's Editorial.

Jim J. Kane's letter to the N I Human Rights Commission.

Jim J. Kane's letter to the RUC

Press Release 

Ed Moloney radio Interview.

Ludlow Family Letter to Bertie Ahern 

Meeting the Police Ombudsman

A Fresh Inquest

Celtic League Support

Press Coverage.

Links.

New guestmap Guest Book

View messages from our original Guestbook

Mailing List

E-Mail Form

Tell a Friend

Search this Site.

 

Other          Ludlow        Family         Sites.          

First Ludlow Site

Domain Name Site

The Dundalk Bombing

 

 

 

Search Allof Ireland.com

 

The Irish News, 29 August 2002:

Murder bullets lost, Ludlow family told

By Valerie Robinson

Two bullets used in the murder of Seamus Ludlow in 1976 have gone missing, the Dundalk man's family has been told.

Relatives of Mr Ludlow, a forestry worker who was gunned down by a loyalist gang, claim they were told that the bullets, which were given to the Northern Ireland authorities by gardai, could not be traced.

The ammunition was set to play a key role in a new inquest into the death of Mr Ludlow.

The inquest will be conducted by Louth Coroner Ronan Maguire at the request of the Republic's attorney general Rory Brady.

Mr Ludlow's family told the Irish News that several members had met Police Ombudsman Nuala O'Loan in Belfast earlier this year and were informed that two of the three bullets recovered from the body could not be found.

It is understood that a senior member of the Garda murder squad had requested in 1979 that two of the bullets be sent to the Northern Ireland forensic science laboratory for comparison with the ballistics evidence from the investigation of the loyalist murder of a young Protestant man in Co Down shortly after the Dundalk killing.

The Garda and the PSNI have refused to comment on claims that vital evidence in the Ludlow murder case has vanished.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for Mrs O'Loan confirmed that the police ombudsman had been contacted by the family but added that it was not in her remit to investigate the case further.

The suggestion that evidence from the murder investigation has gone missing is a second blow to Seamus Ludlow's relatives.

The family learned last week that the new inquest was likely to be hampered by the coroner's inability to compel witnesses to attend.

The Irish government is currently considering imposing hefty fines and prison sentences for individuals who ignore a summons to an inquest but any new law will not be in place before the Ludlow inquiry takes place.

It is also likely that the coroner will not be able to question potentially important RUC and British army witnesses because people based in Northern Ireland cannot be forced to attend inquests in the Republic.

I Homepage I I Top I Press Coverage I I Barron Inquiry I I Terms of reference for Barron Inquiry I I Meeting the Police Ombudsman I I Fresh Inquest I I Celtic League Support I I New GuestMap Guest Book. I   

The Irish Independent, 19 July 2002: Fresh inquest into death of murdered man

The Irish News, 19 July 2002: Family welcome inquest 26 years after murder

The Irish Times, 19 July 2002: New inquest ordered into Louth man's death

The Dundalk Democrat, 20 July 2002: Second inquest to be held into the death of Seamus Ludlow

The Sunday Life, 28 July 2002: Inquest to name Ludlow killers

The Irish Examiner Online - Breaking News, 29 July 2002: Call for public inquiry into 1976 murder

Ulster Television (UTV), online 29 July 2002: Celtic League in demand over murder

The Examiner, 30 July 2002: Ludlow killers to be named

The Irish News, 6 August 2002: Celtic League to fight on for murder inquiry

The Argus (Dundalk), 23 August 2002: Coroner wants the law changed to compel witnesses to attend inquests

The Irish News, 27 August 2002, Loyalist victim's family call for answers

Copyright 2002 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: August 29, 2002 .