The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 July 2002 - The Irish Attorney General has directed the Coroner for County Louth to hold a fresh inquest into the death of Seamus Ludlow.  . . . . Please return for updates and important developments.    This photograph of Seamus Ludlow was taken later in his life.This is a youthful photograph of Seamus Ludlow, taken several years before his murder.This memorial stone marks the place where the dead body of Seamus Ludlow was discovered on Sunday 2nd. May, 1976. This new stone recently replaced another stone.

 

Home

Intro.

Introduction    to the             murder of       Seamus           Ludlow and     the official     cover-up.       

Frequently asked Questions.

Brief Review.

Profile.

Michael Cunningham investigation - 1978

Witness Account 1998

Ludlow Family account 1998.

Chronology.

Photographs.

The recent     Campaign       for Truth and  Justice.          

Latest Reports.

25th Anniversary.

Louth County Council Support.

BIRW Report.

BIRW Update Message.

Irish Victims Commission Report.

Hamilton - Barron  Inquiry

Ludlow family's questions for the RUC (now the PSNI).

Contributors.

Linda Porra's Editorial.

Jim J. Kane's letter to the N I Human Rights Commission.

Jim J. Kane's letter to the RUC

Press Release 

Ed Moloney radio Interview.

Ludlow Family Letter to Bertie Ahern 

Meeting the Police Ombudsman

A Fresh Inquest

Celtic League Support

Press Coverage.

Links.

New guestmap Guest Book

View messages from our original Guestbook

Mailing List

E-Mail Form

Tell a Friend

Search this Site.

 

Other          Ludlow        Family         Sites.          

First Ludlow Site

Domain Name Site

The Dundalk Bombing

 

 

 

Search Allof Ireland.com

 

The Irish News, 27 March 2003:

Government 'will not keep Ludlow secrets'

By Valerie Robinson

The family of Seamus Ludlow has given a guarded welcome to reports that the Irish government will release details of a report into the 1976 murder.

Mr Ludlow's nephew Jimmy Sharkey last night said relatives had adopted a "wait and see attitude" to comment by the Republic's Justice Minister Michael McDowell regarding the killing.

The minister, who was instrumental in ordering a second inquest into the forestry worker's death at the hands of four loyalists close to the border, told reporters that the government did not want to keep secret a report being compiled on the killing by Justice Henry Barron.

Mr McDowell said that the government would publish Justice Barron's findings "as far as it is legally possible".

Mr Sharkey said he welcomed news that authorities in the Republic planned to release information on the judge's findings but expressed concern that the report might not be published in full.

"We would obviously prefer to see the whole report," he added.

Meanwhile, a second nephew Michael Donegan has claimed that a letter relatives received recently from Justice Barron backed claims that lies had been spread about his uncle during the murder investigation.

Judge Barron, investigating the Dublin/Monaghan and Dundalk bombings as well as the Ludlow killing, said that he had seen intelligence passed to the Garda's security section claiming that the forestry worker was shot by the IRA as an informer. He added, however, that gardai to whom he had spoken did not accept the claim.

"The comment confirms what we have been saying all along - that there were elements in the gardai, as well as the British army and RUC, who were spreading lies about Uncle Seamus," said Mr Donegan.

The family's solicitor is now planning to pursue the issue with judge Barron as well as the revelation that the inquiry's progress was being "slowed owing to the absence of any information being received from outside the jurisdiction".

"The 'reformed' PSNI is apparently perpetuating the shameful indifference to truth in this sad affair that had been maintained by the RUC for more than 25 years after the murder of Uncle Seamus," Mr Donegan said.

I Homepage I I Top

 

The Argus, 27 August 1976: Inquest hears of North Louth shooting

Monaghan County of Intrigue (1979) by the late Michael Cunningham: Quoting from Mr. Cunningham's account of his private investigation of Seamus Ludlow's murder.

The Irish Independent, 19 July 2002: Fresh inquest into death of murdered man

The Irish News, 19 July 2002: Family welcome inquest 26 years after murder

The Dundalk Democrat, 20 July 2002: Second inquest to be held into the death of Seamus Ludlow

The Irish News 5 March 2003: Family's wait for murder file over

The Dundalk Democrat, 8 March 2003: Ludlow murder: files to be made available

Celtic League - LUDLOW KILLING - ANOTHER STEP ON THE ROAD TO JUSTICE? - 08/03/2003

The Irish News, 11 March 2003: Family 'cautious' over inquest progress

The Irish News, 21 March 2003: Loyalist murder inquiry call renewed

The Irish Sun, 26 March 2003: Report on Ludlow to be unveiled

 

I Homepage I I Top I Barron Inquiry I I Terms of reference for Barron Inquiry I I BIRW Report I I New Guest Book I

 

 

Copyright 2003 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: March 27, 2003 .