The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003:
Inquest could be next January
By Anne-Marie Eaton
County Coroner, Ronan Maguire, said this week that he hopes to hold the second inquest into Seamus Ludlow’s death in the near future.
Delays have been incurred in receiving relevant
information, but Mr Maguire has stated that he is still waiting on a particular
investigative report on the murder and a definitive explanation on the
whereabouts of Seamus Ludlow’s clothing and the bullets used.
“I am still trying to trace the clothes although it is possible that they may have been destroyed, and I am still trying to locate the bullets and ascertain whether they are still in the possession of the Gardai. I would have thought they should be.”
Seamus’ nephew, Jimmy Sharkey, has said previously that he understands two of the three bullets used in his uncle’s murder were sent to Northern Ireland for forensic examination, with one remaining in the South. He added that Seamus’ clothes were never returned to the family.
Photographs from the murder scene which had been lost, have
since been found and given to the coroner. Ballistic reports have also been
Mr Maguire said he wants to hear the second inquest straight through and does not want to see it adjourned.
“I am not going to open and adjourn it. It will go ahead with as much information as I can get and I will hear it completely.”
Retired state pathologist, Dr John Harbison, who gave a
deposition at the original inquest has said he will attend the new hearing.
The County coroner said the original inquest had not heard from too many people.
“Looking through the inquest file, there were only two other witnesses who were there for the purposes of identification. Obviously they were not family members as they had not been contacted.
“There are also a number of files from people who saw Seamus Ludlow in Dundalk on the night he was murdered.
The inquest could go ahead before Christmas, depending on the family’s feelings. “Sometimes the families of the deceased do not want an inquest just before Christmas and if this is the case then I could be ready to go ahead with the inquest in early January.”
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 December 2002: Author identifies those who may have been responsible Book on bombing to be launched on Saturday
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 December 2002: Nearly 30 years on from Dundalk bombing and the fight for justice continues
The Dundalk Democrat, 04 January 2003: A photograph of Joe Tiernan's book launch in Dundalk. (See above Dundalk Democrat 21 December 2002)
The Sunday Times, January 12, 2003: Army 'link' to Dublin bombings
RM Distribution, 13 January 2003: Dublin/Monaghan bombs came from British Army - report
Sunday Business Post, 19 January 2003: Dublin-Monaghan: will the truth finally out?
Ulster Television News online, 27 February, 2003: Irish justice group 'furious' over Barron Inquiry
The Irish Examiner online edition, 27 February 2003: Group calls for new Dublin-Monaghan bombings inquiry
The Irish News, 5 March 2003: Family's wait for murder file over
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 March 2003: Ludlow murder: files to be made available
The Irish News, 11 March 2003: Family 'cautious' over inquest progress
The Dundalk Democrat, 15 March 2003: Plaque to Patrick Mone unveiled
The Irish News, 21 March 2003: Loyalist murder inquiry call renewed
The Irish Sun, 26 March 2003: Report on Ludlow to be unveiled
The Daily Irish Star, 26 March 2003: Inquiry into man's murder
The Irish News, 27 March 2003: Government 'will not keep Ludlow secrets'
The Irish Times, 13 June 2003, Inquest on 1974 Dublin bombs to reopen
The Irish Independent, 13 June 2003: Victims and families a step nearer the truth
Dundalk Democrat, 28 June 2003: Dundalk families concerned over Barron report delay
The Sunday Business Post, 29 June 2003: Irish government `helped the British' during Troubles
The Irish Independent, 22 July 2003: AG is urged to reopen inquests into bomb deaths
The Examiner (formerly The Crossmaglen Examiner), 5 August 2003: Victims' families demand truth about collusion
The Dundalk Democrat, 16 August 2003: Date for Ludlow inquest
The Irish News, 7 October 2003: Coroner still awaiting copy of murder report
Ireland on Sunday, 12 October 2003: Top names linked to Dublin-Monaghan atrocity Bombs report names gardai 'collaborators'
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003: Dundalk bombing and Ludlow murder ignored
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003: Family feel inquiry will make little difference
Copyright © 2003 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: November 07, 2003 .