The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003:
Family feel inquiry will make little difference
By Anne-Marie Eaton
Jimmy Sharkey said this week
that he does not know if the murder of his uncle, forestry worker, Seamus
Ludlow, has been included in the Barron Inquiry Report that has been forwarded
to the Taoiseach.
Seamus Ludlow was shot three times and his body dumped in a ditch down a laneway close to his Mountpleasant home, where it was discovered on May 2, 1976, the day after his disappearance. Over the years, the Ludlow family were continually led to believe that Seamus had been murdered by the IRA. However, all evidence, including that of an eye witness, now indicates he was killed by Loyalist Red Hand Commandos. A monument where his body was found has been updated to reflect this.
“We haven’t heard anything from Barron’s office and so we don’t know if Seamus’ murder has been included, or whether there’s to be a separate report”, Jimmy explained.
The Ludlow family met with Justice Henry Barron twice. However, in the beginning, when the inquiry was first announced, they were not in favour of it, preferring as they always have, a public inquiry.
But with plans to proceed with
the inquiry, even though families were not involved, the Ludlows met with him.
As they wait to hear if Seamus’ murder is included in this report, Jimmy doesn’t feel it will have a great impact. “As has already been said, Barron is probably an honourable man and is probably trying to do his best, but I really don’t think it will make much difference for us.
“We put forward names of people we felt should have been included in the inquiry and they were not.”.
An eye witness to the
murder, Paul Hosking, came forward in recent years and stated that Seamus’
murder was carried out by UDR men with links to the Loyalist Red Hand Commandos.
In a published interview, he said he had given the information to the RUC in
1987 and was told: “Forget it, it’s political”.
Hosking said that he, along with three men, had been travelling in a yellow Datsun from Comber to Killyleagh, on to Omeath and then to Dundalk. Mr Ludlow was hitching a lift home and the car stopped to pick him up.
According to Hosking’s account, Seamus told the men they had driven past his house. The car turned down what is known as the Bog Road and turned into another lane.
Hosking said he got out of the car and as he had his back turned, he heard gunshots fired. The man who had been sitting in the front seat of the car was shooting into it. Seamus’ body was taken out and dumped in the ditch.
Paul Hosking put himself in the spotlight and told the public what had happened that night, yet as far as we know, he was not interviewed by Justice Barron.
Jimmy Sharkey believes that another person who should have been interviewed is Police Ombudsman, Nuala O’Loan.
“The family met with Nuala O’Loan and it was a very informative meeting. It would have been useful for Barron to have a conversation with her. Jimmy says he hopes that the Dublin and Monaghan families do make some progress as a result of the Barron Inquiry, but he does not see his uncle’s murderers ever being prosecuted.
“The chances are the main protagonists involved in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings are dead. Those who were involved in Seamus’ murder are still very much alive and we don’t think any of them will be prosecuted,” he said.
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 December 2002: Author identifies those who may have been responsible Book on bombing to be launched on Saturday
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 December 2002: Nearly 30 years on from Dundalk bombing and the fight for justice continues
The Dundalk Democrat, 04 January 2003: A photograph of Joe Tiernan's book launch in Dundalk. (See above Dundalk Democrat 21 December 2002)
The Sunday Times, January 12, 2003: Army 'link' to Dublin bombings
RM Distribution, 13 January 2003: Dublin/Monaghan bombs came from British Army - report
Sunday Business Post, 19 January 2003: Dublin-Monaghan: will the truth finally out?
Ulster Television News online, 27 February, 2003: Irish justice group 'furious' over Barron Inquiry
The Irish Examiner online edition, 27 February 2003: Group calls for new Dublin-Monaghan bombings inquiry
The Irish News, 5 March 2003: Family's wait for murder file over
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 March 2003: Ludlow murder: files to be made available
The Irish News, 11 March 2003: Family 'cautious' over inquest progress
The Dundalk Democrat, 15 March 2003: Plaque to Patrick Mone unveiled
The Irish News, 21 March 2003: Loyalist murder inquiry call renewed
The Irish Sun, 26 March 2003: Report on Ludlow to be unveiled
The Daily Irish Star, 26 March 2003: Inquiry into man's murder
The Irish News, 27 March 2003: Government 'will not keep Ludlow secrets'
The Irish Times, 13 June 2003, Inquest on 1974 Dublin bombs to reopen
The Irish Independent, 13 June 2003: Victims and families a step nearer the truth
Dundalk Democrat, 28 June 2003: Dundalk families concerned over Barron report delay
The Sunday Business Post, 29 June 2003: Irish government `helped the British' during Troubles
The Irish Independent, 22 July 2003: AG is urged to reopen inquests into bomb deaths
The Examiner (formerly The Crossmaglen Examiner), 5 August 2003: Victims' families demand truth about collusion
The Dundalk Democrat, 16 August 2003: Date for Ludlow inquest
The Irish News, 7 October 2003: Coroner still awaiting copy of murder report
Ireland on Sunday, 12 October 2003: Top names linked to Dublin-Monaghan atrocity Bombs report names gardai 'collaborators'
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003: Dundalk bombing and Ludlow murder ignored
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003: Inquest could be next January
Copyright © 2003 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: November 07, 2003 .