The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
Dundalk Democrat, 28 June 2003:
Dundalk families concerned over Barron report delay
By Anne Campbell
The Taoiseach admitted this week that nearly €4000,000 has been spent on the commission into the Dublin, Monaghan and Dundalk bombings, but the report has not been completed.
This has angered the Dundalk families. Maura McKeever, whose father, Jack Rooney died along with Hugh Watters in the bombing at Kay's Tavern on 19th December 1975, is concerned over the delay.
"We cannot see any good reason why this report has been put off for so long", she said. "It seems as if the government is willing to keep putting this off.
"We were told in April last year that the report would be ready in the Autumn of 2002, but it was inexplicably delayed and we don't understand why".
Replying to questions from Fine Gael leader, Mr Enda Kenny, Mr Ahern stated that it was his understanding that Mr Justice Barron, who is overseeing the inquiry into the atrocities, has "almost completed the drafting of his report".
"It is expected that his report will be ready for publication after the summer", said Mr Ahern. "I also understand that Mr Justice Barron has the resources necessary to complete his work.
"He has not indicated his intention to make an interim report and the cost of the commission to date this year amounts to approximately €398,000".
Mr Kenny wanted to know what was taking the Barron team so long. He pointed out that the Taoiseach gave the same answer on 22 April last year when he stated that the report would be ready by Autumn 2002.
Mr Ahern replied that the report, when it is received, will be immediately referred to the appropriate Oireachtas committee, where it will be examined.
The Irish government has done all it can, according to Mr Ahern. "There were direct dealings between Mr Justice Barron and the British authorities through the NIO, the British government and its agencies.
"We will have to wait for the report to see if Mr Justice Barron is entirely happy with that co-operation, but no matters are currently outstanding at this stage.
"That is not to say that Mr Justice Barron got everything he wanted as that would be an over-optimistic assessment.
"The delay can also be attributed to the fact that the team working with Mr Justice Barron continued to follow through on the various issues".
Mr Ahern revealed that the inquiry spent "considerable time" going through Oireachtas records as well as Garda files and information they received with the co-operation of the NIO and British authorities.
He admitted, however, that Mr Justice Barron was not briefing him directly, only that the report was being finally drafted.
I Top I
Magill Magazine, September 2002:The Truth Trickles Out Mystery has always surrounded the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings. An independent inquiry has been set up to look at the events surrounding the attacks, and the bombing of Dundalk the following year. Donall O Maolfabhail reports on its likely findings.
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 September 2002: Barron investigations lead to public inquiry into Dundalk bombing
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 December 2002: Author identifies those who may have been responsible Book on bombing to be launched on Saturday
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 December 2002: Nearly 30 years on from Dundalk bombing and the fight for justice continues
The Dundalk Democrat, 04 January 2003: A photograph of Joe Tiernan's book launch in Dundalk. (See above Dundalk Democrat 21 December 2002)
The Sunday Times, January 12, 2003: Army 'link' to Dublin bombings
RM Distribution, 13 January 2003: Dublin/Monaghan bombs came from British Army - report
Sunday Business Post, 19 January 2003: Dublin-Monaghan: will the truth finally out?
Ulster Television News online, 27 February, 2003: Irish justice group 'furious' over Barron Inquiry
The Irish Examiner online edition, 27 February 2003: Group calls for new Dublin-Monaghan bombings inquiry
BBC News online, 28 February 2003: Troubles victims fund set up
The Irish News, 5 March 2003: Family's wait for murder file over
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 March 2003: Ludlow murder: files to be made available
The Irish News, 11 March 2003: Family 'cautious' over inquest progress
The Dundalk Democrat, 15 March 2003: Plaque to Patrick Mone unveiled