The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Dundalk Democrat, Editorial, 20 December 2003:
No cause for optimism following Barron Report
The 20th anniversary of the Crowe Street bombing, causing the death of Jack Rooney and Hugh Watters is coming up on this Friday. The two Dundalkmen, one a Council lorry driver, the other a tailor, had just completed their week's work when the explosion went off outside a public house.
One died instantly, the other a few days later. A plaque on the wall of the Town Hall is a constant reminder of one of the most awful days in the town's history.
In May of the following year, Seamus Ludlow, from Mountpleasant, thumbed a lift home after having a few drinks in town. He was picked up, but instead of being left at his house along the main thoroughfare, was taken along what's known locally as The Bog Road, and from there down a lane where he was shot dead.
Over a quarter of a century on, no-one has been charged with the mens' murder. True, a book by Dublin writer, Joe Tiernan, has not only named those responsible for planting the bomb which caused death and widespread damage in the centre of the town, but has also published photographs of them. Still, there has been nothing official, so to speak Enquiries, you could say are continuing.
It is the same with the murder of Mr Ludlow. A campaign, led by among others, the dead man's nephews, has been ongoing over the past number of years. Some progress has been made, but many questions remain unanswered.
Maura McKeever, a daughter of Mr Rooney's, and Margaret Watters, a daughter of Mr Watters', have also devoted much of their time in searching for answers. What they have been told has not been to their satisfaction. Until inquiries are held into all three murders, their work will continue.
Hopes were raised when it was confirmed that the deaths would be inquired into by Mr Justice Henry Barron - not in conjunction with the Dublin and Monaghan bombings inquiries, but at a later stage.
In the light of the accusations, the rebuttals, and the silence of many following last week's publication of Mr Justice Barron's report, and the author's suggestion of ineptitude, and, indeed, collusion at the highest level, can the local families expect to have their minds put to rest whenever the Justice's second report is placed in the public domain?
We should not be too optimistic, because from the information gleaned so far - especially in relation to the Ludlow murder - the words used by Mr Justice Barron last week could well be re-employed.
I Top I
Ireland on Sunday, 12 October 2003: Top names linked to Dublin-Monaghan atrocity Bombs report names gardai 'collaborators'
The Sunday Independent, 2 November 3003: Net is closing in on Dublin car bombers
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003: Dundalk bombing and Ludlow murder ignored
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003: Family feel inquiry will make little difference
The Dundalk Democrat, 8 November 2003: Inquest could be next January
The Irish News, 8 November 2003: No mention of Dundalk victims in Barron report
The Irish News, 11 November 2003: Interview loyalist over witness claim judge told
The Dundalk Democrat, 20 December 2003: Missing files a matter of concern for Ludlow relatives
Copyright © 2003 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: December 24, 2003 .