The families of
three men murdered by loyalists in Co Louth in the 1970s have expressed
disappointment that the recently-published Barron report failed to mention the
Court judge Henry Barron last month presented Taoiseach Bertie Ahern with the
findings of his investigation into the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings which
left 33 people dead.
The judge, who
began his independent inquiry three years ago, was also instructed by the
government in the Republic to investigate the 1976 murder of forestry worker
Seamus Ludlow as well as the 1975 Dundalk bombing.
Barron report, which will be considered by the cabinet before being studied by
an Oireachtas committee, did not contain details of the Co Louth deaths.
Mr. Ahern pledged
that he would not delay the publication of Justice Barron's report, and said
he hoped that a number of other reports being prepared by the judge would be
available by the end of the year.
whose father Hugh, was one of two men killed in the Dundalk car bomb attack
said that she had been saddened and shocked that families had first learned
through the media that their loved ones would be excluded from the initial
accused the Irish government of pushing the blast “into the background”.
Speaking to the Dundalk
Democrat this week, she said: “No one has contacted us about when a
report into the Dundalk bombing may be handed to the government. The
anniversary of the bombing is only six weeks away and this adds to the stress
and sadness which we always feel at this time of year.”
Jack Rooney and
Hugh Watters, were killed when a bomb exploded outside Kay's Tavern in Crowe
Street on December 19 1975.
Tiernan last year claimed in his book Dublin-Monaghan Bombings and the Murder
Triangle, that two men responsible for the attack in Dundalk were now deceased
and may have been responsible for about 150 Catholic murders during the 1970s
nephew, Jimmy Sharkey, also revealed that he had no official contact about the
contents of the Barron document and only learned from the Justice for the
Forgotten support group that his uncle's murder would not be included .
The matter is now
set to be raised in the Dail by Sinn Féin TDs Caomhghin O Caolain and Arthur
County Coroner Ronan Maguire has promised to hold the second inquest into Mr.
Ludlow's murder as soon as possible.
Mr. Maguire said
that he was still attempting to trace the murder victim's clothes and the
bullets used in the killing.
It is understood
that photographs from the murder scene which had been mislaid, have since been
found by gardai and handed to the coroner.
from the original investigation have also been located.