Justice at last for the forgotten victims of sectarian murder in Dundalk
Search Allof Ireland.com
The Daily Mirror (Northern Ireland edition), 30 November 2006:
Brits did help kill eighteen civilians
Thatcher knew of collusion says report into atrocities
By Geraldine Comiskey
British forces collaborated with loyalist terrorists to kill innocent people in Ireland in the 1970s, it was claimed last night.
The Irish Parliament report found the British army and police colluded with gangs who carried out a series of bombings and murders.
They included the Miami Showband massacre, the Dublin Airport bombing and the bombing of two bars. Other attacks investigated by the committee brought the death toll to 18.
Shockingly, the report also revealed that the Government - under Margaret Thatcher - was fully aware of the collusion.
Members of the security forces suspected of collusion are named, along with several loyalists, in the report, which is the fourth produced by Justice Henry Barron, for the Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Equality, Defence and Women's Rights.
The eport criticises the Northern Ireland Office and RUC chiefs for not co-operating with inquiries into many of the killings. It accuses the UK's security forces of "engaging in the butchering of innocent victims" and of "international acts of terrorism".
The report was welcomed by Margaret Urwin of the Justice for the Forgotten Group which has been campaigning for an inquiry into the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.
Ms Urwin said the report "does notbeat about the bush".
She said it confirmed suspicions that "the British Government was involved in murder on the streets of a friendly state". Taoiseach Bertie Ahern described the findings as "deeply disturbing".
He said the Government had pressed Britain for co-operation and had been in touch with them yesterday to urge them to examine the findings of that report and the final report into the Dublin and Monaghan bombings due to be released on December 10.
Mr Ahern said he had set up the inquiries because of "long-standing suspicions" about the attacks.
He added: "We must also remember all the many other victims on all sides, in what was a dark and tragic period of the history of this island."
Last night the DUP's Jeffrey Donaldson, who once served in the Ulster Defence Regiment, defended the organisation and the RUC.
Although the MP accepted that rogue elements were involved in atrocities, he said "there's no evidence" to prove that systematic security force plotting with terrorists took place.
I Top I
Massacre of the innocents
Kay's Tavern - Twomen killed in the bombing of Kay's Tavern in Dundalk on december 19, 1975. Twenty other people were injured in the Red Hand Commando attack which destroyed two buildings. The killers were believed to be from Portadown, Co Armagh. No one has ever been charged with the murders.
Dublin Airport - John Hayes, 38, killed when a UDA bomb exploded in the men's toilets at the arrivals area on November 29, 1975.
Three Star Inn - Patrick Mohan, 53, dies on March 9, 1976, after a car bomb exploded outside the Three Star Inn in Castleblayney, Co Monaghan. Five others injured in the attack.
The car used to carry the bomb had been stolen in the Shankhill area of Belfast.
Miami Showband - Fran O'Toole, 29, Brian McCoy, 33, and 23-year-old Anthony Geraghty shot by UVF gang outside Newry, Co Down on July 31, 1975. The loyalists, including members of the UDR, staged a fake army road block. Two of the gang, Harris Boyle and Wesley Somerville, were also killed when a bomb they intended to plant in the minibus exploded prematurely.
I Top I
The Daily Mirror (Editorial), 30 November 2006:
Voice of the Daily Mirror:
Collusion: The Truth
The families of those killed north and south of the Border with the help of the British Government moved one step towards justice yesterday.
The extent of collusion between security forces, which should have been independent, and loyalist paramilitaries, was laid bare in horrific terms yesterday.
The findings are a damning indictment of the British Government, which has blood on its hands.
The most infamous of the atrocities examined by an Irish committee were the Dublin and Monaghan bombings and the Miami Showband massacre.
Their relatives and the relatives of the others killed in similar, collusion-linked murders, now need to know the full truth about who knew what about the killings.
They need to know who passed on the information - and who is accountable.
The findings come at a critical time as attempts to restore power sharing at Stormont continue but these findings should be dealt with immediately.
Northern Ireland can't move into the future while carrying such pain and mistrust from the past.
I Top I
See early media reports from the http://www.breakingnews.ie/ dated 29 November 2006:
See also the following report from ireland.com: Barron finds British collusion in attacks
The Argus (Dundalk), 29 November 2006: A high level of collusion found in Dundalk bombing
The Daily Telegraph, 29 November 2006: Ahern call for ‘collusion’ inquiry
The Irish Independent, 29 November 2006: British and loyalists 'colluded in bombing'
Ulster Television News online, 29 November 2006:Green Party demand public inquiry
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: Government backs report on collusion in North
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: The nine attacks — a litany of terror and death
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: ‘What we have heard today are things we have known for years’
The Irish Independent, 30 November 2006: British colluded in 'butchery'
The Irish News, 30 November 2006: Families welcome collusion findings
The Irish Times, 30 November 2006: London must co-operate on collusion inquiries - Ahern
The Irish Times, 30 November 2006: 'Widespread' collusion by British forces behind atrocities
The Irish Times, 30 November 2006: Remit: the atrocities covered
The Dundalk Democrat, 6 December 2006: Dundalk Bombings News Special: Reports by Anne Marie Eaton:
The Argus (Dundalk), 6 December 2006: News Special Report of Independent Commission of Inquiry into Dundalk Bombing
I Top I
Here is media coverage of the fourth Barron Report:
The Irish News, 5 July 2006: "Relatives 'furious' over Barron report blunder
See also The Irish News online breaking news, 5 July 2006: Pub bombers 'treated better than victims' families'
See also: Oireachtas press release of 5 July 2006.
Daily Ireland, 6 July 2006: Blast victim’s relative hits out
The Irish Examiner, 6 July 2006: Loyalists had licence to kill Catholics, finds inquiry
The Irish Independent, 6 July 2006: Bombers 'treated better than victims'
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Relatives want 1975 bombing inquiry
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Horror lives on for bar owner
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Report points to RUC reservist's farm as base for UVF operations
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Hope that collusion theories may be brought to surface
The Irish Times, 6 July 2006: 1970s bombing victims complain of official neglect
LMFM Radio online news report, 6 July 2006: Hearings into report on Dundalk bombing to begin in September
TOM News, 6 July 2006: Latest Barron Report Highlights Need for Ahern-Blair Summit on Collusion
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Taoiseach urged to call summit
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Barron inquiry typically leaves more questions than answers Conclusion of report into collusion allegations between loyalists and the British government is 'unsatisfactory'
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Families to discuss Barron report
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Garda probe questions raised
The Irish News of the World, 9 July 2006: Showband massacre: shocking new report Former cop behind plot
The Newry Democrat, 11 July 2006: Collusion summit call
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Gardai expected bomb at Imperial
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Barron Report is a step closer to the truth
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Families will continue their campaign for justice
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Inquiry lists 19 suspects
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Members of RUC and UDR probably knew about plan to bomb Dundalk
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Guide to names listed by inquiry
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: My father and family have been let down by the government
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Authorities reluctance to admit mistakes cost families heartache
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006:Joint Committee likely to hold series of hearings in autumn
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Sharp differences over fingermarks evidence
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006:Questions that still need answers
Daily Ireland, 13 July 2006: Justice Group seeks advice
I Top I
Produced in association with the Ludlow Family.
Last edited: 16 December 2006 22:06:45
Copyright © 2006 the Rooney, Watters and Ludlow families.
All rights reserved. Revised: December 16, 2006 .