Justice at last for the forgotten victims of sectarian murder in Dundalk
Search Allof Ireland.com
Daily Ireland, 5 July 2006:
Report expected today on Dundalk bombing
By David Lynch
An Irish government-backed report on a bomb attack that killed two people in Dundalk in the mid-1970s is expected to be published today.
The report will be published through the joint Oireachtas committee on justice.
Mr Justice Henry Barron's report will focus on the Dundalk bombing of 1975.
The report also contains references, in the form of appendices, to other incidents brought to the attention of the judge's inquiry, including bomb attacks in Castleblayney, Dublin Airport and Silverbridge and the July 31, 1975 Miami Showband murders.
Margaret Urwin, a spokeswoman for the victims group Justice for the Forgotten, told Daily Ireland: "We are very anxious to see what is contained in this report and we will be reading it with particular interest.
"We will be particularly reacting to its contents when we get to see the report."
Relatives of the victims of the bombings had believed that the report was to be published this Thursday.
Ms Urwin said some relatives were expected to be present today when the report is published, despite the short notice.
On December 19, 1975, a loyalist car bomb exploded on the street outside a public house in Dundalk, Co Louth, at 6.22pm.
Two men - 60-year-old Jack Rooney and 51-year-old Hughie Watters - died and 14 people were injured in the bombing.
The men died just a few hours before a deadly attack on Donnelly's bar, in nearby Silverbridge, Co Armagh, in which loyalists killed three men.
This incident is also expected to be mentioned in today's report.
On November 29, 1975, one person died in an explosion in toilets at the arrival lounge of Dublin Airport.
Taoiseach Bertie Ahern received the new Barron report earlier this year.
Previous Barron reports have looked into the Dublin and Monaghan bombings of the 1970s and the murder of Seamus Ludlow in 1976.
The joint Oireachtas committee on justice is expected to hold a press conference on the report this evening.
I Top I
Here is media coverage of the fourth Barron Report on the Dundalk bombing and other attacks:
The Irish News, 5 July 2006: "Relatives 'furious' over Barron report blunder
The Irish News online breaking news, 5 July 2006: Pub bombers 'treated better than victims' families'
See also: Oireachtas press release of 5 July 2006.
Daily Ireland, 6 July 2006: Blast victim’s relative hits out
The Irish Examiner, 6 July 2006: Loyalists had licence to kill Catholics, finds inquiry
The Irish Independent, 6 July 2006: Bombers 'treated better than victims'
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Relatives want 1975 bombing inquiry
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Horror lives on for bar owner
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Report points to RUC reservist's farm as base for UVF operations
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Hope that collusion theories may be brought to surface
The Irish Times, 6 July 2006: 1970s bombing victims complain of official neglect
LMFM Radio online news report, 6 July 2006: Hearings into report on Dundalk bombing to begin in September
TOM News, 6 July 2006: Latest Barron Report Highlights Need for Ahern-Blair Summit on Collusion
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Taoiseach urged to call summit
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Barron inquiry typically leaves more questions than answers Conclusion of report into collusion allegations between loyalists and the British government is 'unsatisfactory'
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Families to discuss Barron report
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Garda probe questions raised
The Irish News of the World, 9 July 2006: Showband massacre: shocking new report Former cop behind plot
The Newry Democrat, 11 July 2006: Collusion summit call
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Gardai expected bomb at Imperial
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Barron Report is a step closer to the truth
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Families will continue their campaign for justice
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Inquiry lists 19 suspects
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Members of RUC and UDR probably knew about plan to bomb Dundalk
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Guide to names listed by inquiry
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: My father and family have been let down by the government
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Authorities reluctance to admit mistakes cost families heartache
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006:Joint Committee likely to hold series of hearings in autumn
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Sharp differences over fingermarks evidence
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006:Questions that still need answers
Daily Ireland, 13 July 2006: Justice Group seeks advice
I Top I
See early media reports of the Joint Oireachtas Sub-Committee Report from the http://www.breakingnews.ie/ dated 29 November 2006:
See also the following report from ireland.com, 29 November 2006: Barron finds British collusion in attacks
The Argus (Dundalk), 29 November 2006: A high level of collusion found in Dundalk bombing
The Daily Telegraph, 29 November 2006: Ahern call for ‘collusion’ inquiry
The Irish Independent, 29 November 2006: British and loyalists 'colluded in bombing'
Ulster Television News online, 29 November 2006:Green Party demand public inquiry
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: Government backs report on collusion in North
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: The nine attacks — a litany of terror and death
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: ‘What we have heard today are things we have known for years’
The Irish Independent, 30 November 2006: British colluded in 'butchery'
The Irish News, 30 November 2006: Families welcome collusion findings
The Irish Times, 30 November 2006: London must co-operate on collusion inquiries - Ahern
The Irish Times, 30 November 2006:
The Irish Times, 30 November 2006: Remit: the atrocities covered
The Dundalk Democrat, 6 December 2006: Dundalk Bombings News Special: Reports by Anne Marie Eaton:
The Argus (Dundalk), 6 December 2006: News Special Report of Independent Commission of Inquiry into Dundalk Bombing:
I Top I
Last edited: 24 December 2006 13:38:37
© 2006 the Rooney, Watters and Ludlow families.
All rights reserved.