The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Irish Examiner, 30 September 1999:
Bombings investigations but no public inquiry
In spite of protests from bereaved relatives and some opposition TDs, the Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern said yesterday the probe into the biggest atrocity of the troubles will be held in private and the findings published later.
Mr Ahern told the Dáil that the government has accepted the report compiled earlier this summer by former Tanaiste, John Wilson, and a retired judge of either the Supreme or High Court will be appointed shortly to take charge of the matter.
The Taoiseach said there will also be an inquiry into a bombing in Dundalk and the murder of a forestry worker, Seamus Ludlow, near Dundalk in 1976.
In the murder case, the findings may not be published as it could jeopardise potential criminal proceedings.
Dublin Socialist TD, Joe Higgins, said a public inquiry should be held and warned of repeated fears that there was a sinister involvement by elements of the British intelligence services.
A news conference announcing the findings of the Victims’ Commission chaired by Mr Wilson was disrupted last August by injury victims of the incidents and bereaved relatives who alleged ‘a cover up’.
Replying to questions from Sinn Féin TD, Caoimhghín O´ Caoláin, Mr Ahern said he met the relatives’ and victims’ group, Justice for the Forgotten last April. An inter-departmental group later met with them following the report’s publication.
Mr Ahern said the government formally endorsed Mr Wilson’s report at its meeting on Tuesday.
Taoiseach also told Charles Flanagan of Fine Gael that a bombing in Sackville
Place, Dublin, in the early 1970s would not be part of these investigations.
The Examiner, 10 August 1999: Report recommends inquiries into Ludlow murder, Dundalk bombing
The Dundalk Democrat, 14 August 1999: "Ludlow inquiry must be public" - says Arthur Morgan
The Dundalk Democrat, 14 August 1999: "Dublin/Monaghan bombings inquiry should be public" says O Caolain
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 August 1999: "A deafening silence"
The Sunday Tribune, Letters to the Editor, 19 September 1999: In support of Ed Moloney
The Irish Examiner, 30 September 1999: Bombings investigations but no public inquiry
The Argus Weekender, 2 October 1999: Cabinet broadens scope of enquiry to include the Dundalk bombing
The Dundalk Democrat, 2 October 1999: Private enquiries into Ludlow murder and Dundalk bombing
The Sunday Tribune, 3 October 1999: Ludlow inquiry limited
The Irish Times, 13 October 1999: Victims seek wider inquiry
The Irish News, 13 October 1999: Families call for inquiries into loyalist murders
An Phoblacht/Republican News, 14 October 1999: Relatives demand justice