The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Dundalk Democrat, 2 October 1999:
Private enquiries into Ludlow murder and Dundalk bombing
It was announced by Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern in the Dail on Wednesday last that private enquiries are to be carried out into the murder of Seamus Ludlow in 1976 and also the December 1975 Dundalk bombing in which two men lost their lives, writes Anne-Marie Eaton.
Concerning Seamus Ludlow who was found shot dead near his Mountpleasant home in May 1976, the Taoiseach said that in accordance with the findings of John Wilson in his report "A Time and a Place", an independent private enquiry would be carried out by a former Supreme Court Judge but, in order not to compromise any criminal prosecution this enquiry should not publish its report.
A file is at present with the Director of Public Prosecutions in Northern Ireland in relation to Seamus' murder.
However, while a private enquiry has been announced the family of Seamus Ludlow feel, according to Seamus' nephew Jimmy Sharkey, "extremely angry", adding that any procedures in the North of Ireland should not affect a public enquiry in the South where it would be to try to find out who suppressed the evidence.
Margaret English, a daughter of Hughie Watters and Maura McKeever, a daughter of Jack Rooney, also feel that a public enquiry is necessary in the case of investigating the bomb which exploded on 19th December 1975 outside Kay's Tavern and killed their fathers.
Better than nothing
Maura McKeever described the announcement of the private enquiry as "better than nothing" but added that a public enquiry was what was needed. Margaret English also said that while it was "good to see an acknowledgement of the bombing in Dundalk, there shouldn't be a private enquiry."
Cllr. Arthur Morgan, Sinn Fein, this week agreed with the call for a full public enquiry, issuing the following statement: -
Minister of Social, Community & Family Affairs, Dermot Ahern TD also issued a statement on the announcement of the enquiries: -
"Recently the Report of the Victims Commission chaired by John Wilson made recommendations to the Government that enquiries should take place in relation to the Dublin/Monaghan bombings and the case of Seamus Ludlow.
"Since the publication of the Report there have been representations made to me regarding the disappointment which the families affected by the Dundalk bombing of December 1975 have felt in that no inquiry was proposed for the Dundalk incident.
"The Government, at my request, yesterday decided to include the Dundalk bombing in the proposed Inquiry by a former Judge.
"I am delighted that the Government have acceded to my request in that ever since this incident took place the people of this area and particularly the families of those people killed and injured were extremely upset and annoyed that no real attention had been paid to the circumstances surrounding this horrific event in Dundalk in December 1975.
"I hope that the former Judge who will be appointed to this Inquiry will get to the bottom once and for all about how these incidents and particularly the Dundalk bombing and the Seamus Ludlow case came to pass."
The Dundalk Democrat, 7 August 1999: Ludlow murder inquiry report "A place and a name"
The Sunday Tribune, 8 August 1999: The case that is not going to go away
The Examiner, 10 August 1999: Report recommends inquiries into Ludlow murder, Dundalk bombing
The Dundalk Democrat, 14 August 1999: "Ludlow inquiry must be public" - says Arthur Morgan
The Dundalk Democrat, 14 August 1999: "Dublin/Monaghan bombings inquiry should be public" says O Caolain
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 August 1999: "A deafening silence"
The Sunday Tribune, Sunday 17 October 1999, by Ed Moloney: North's DPP has decided not to charge Loyalists arrested in connection with Ludlow killing