The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Dundalk Democrat, 15 June 2005
Coroner receives ballistics report on Ludlow after 29-year wait
A ballistics report on the murder of Mountpleasant man Seamus Ludlow has finally been handed over to County Coroner Ronan Maguire.
The Coroner confirmed that he has finally received a ballistics report obn the murder of North Loutg man Seamus Ludlow, who was shot dead by a loyalist gang in May 1976.
The 47 year old forestry worker was shot dead and his body found dumped in a laneway near his home at Thistle Cross, Mountpleasant. It's believed that he was killed by members of the Red Hand Commandos.
The Attorney General had ordered that a new inquest be held as the Ludlow family did not receive proper notice that the original hearing was taking place.
A full inquest is due to take place on September 5.
A preliminary hearing to establish its parameters was told last month that the only bullet still in possession of the gardai, had undergone ballistics comparisons North and South, but the Coroner had still to receive a ballistics report.
Ronan Maguire said this meant he was relying on second hand information.
Kevin Segrave BL, counsel for the Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy, told a brief hearing on Monday that copies of the ballistics report were now available for both the Coroner and the Ludlow family.
Ronan Maguire said that he had received written submissions from both the Garda Commissioner, and the solicitor representing the dead man's family on the areas that they believe should be covered in the inquest.
He said there is quite a lot of case law to be reviewed and unless something arises out of the submissions, there would be no further hearings until the full inquest takes place on September 5.
The Sunday Business Post, 8 May 2005: Coroner to re-examine 1976 murder
The Sunday Tribune, 22 May 2004: "There are top politicians with blood on their hands"
The Irish Independent, 25 May 2005: New inquest in Ludlow killing case
The Dundalk Democrat, 25 May 2005: Family's 30 year wait for second inquest nears end
The Argus (Dundalk), 17 June 2005: Ludlow inquest adjourned to autumn
Relatives for Justice http://www.relativesforjustice.com/
Pat Finucane Centre http://www.www.patfinucanecentre.org (a new web address)
British Irish Rights Watch http://www.birw.org/
Irish Council for Civil Liberties http://www.iccl.ie/
Celtic League http://www.manxman.co.im/cleague/index.html
Justice for the Forgotten at http://www.dublinmonaghanbombings.org/
The Barron Report on the May 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings can be downloaded in pdf format from http://www.irlgov.ie/oireachtas/Committees-29th-D%E1il/jcjedwr-debates/InterimDubMon.pdf
Barron Report: on the Dublin Bombings of 1972 and 1973, can be downloaded in pdf form from: http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/committees29thdail/jcjedwr/Dublin_Barron_Rep031204.pdf
Copyright © 2005 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: June 19, 2005