The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Dundalk Democrat, 6 March 2004:
Suspect says he was not involved in Ludlow murder
By Anne Marie Eaton
Samuel Black Carroll, one of the four men questioned in 1998 about the murder of Seamus Ludlow insisted this week he is not guilty of the May 1976 murder.
"It just doesn't make sense for me to have been involved in the Seamus Ludlow case", he said.
Justice Henry Barron has confirmed to the Ludlow relatives that the four men questioned at Castlereagh six years ago, had been in Dundalk on the night of Seamus Ludlow's murder, and had intended to kill someone that night.
Speaking this week, Seamus' nephew, Jimmy Sharkey said he feels Carroll has been "abandoned by his handlers and hung out to dry."
Seamus' murder was initially blamed on the IRA, but this was denied to the family on a number of occasions.
Information gathered over the years, including details given by an eyewitness to the murder, Paul Hosking, indicate his murder was carried out by UDR men with links to the Red Hand Commandos.
Hosking says he was in the car that stopped to pick up Seamus, who was on his way home from a night out.
Instead of dropping him at his home, in Mountpleasant, the car was driven down the nearby Bog Road. Seamus was shot three times and his body dumped in a ditch down a laneway. It was found the following day.
Although the four men, including Hosking and Carroll - nicknamed 'Mambo' were interviewed the Director of Public Prosecutions, however, directed that no proceedings should be issued.
The decision not to prosecute the four men could not be explained by the Northern Ireland Ombudsman, Nuala O'Loan, and her team, who in a meeting with the Ludlow family in 2002, said that the same four names were given to the RUC Special Branch in 1977, and passed onto Detective Chief Superintendent John Courtney in 1979.
Carroll, who admits to associations with the UVF, UDA, UFF and the Orange Volunteers, maintains that he was not in the country in 1976, and had gone 'missing' for a time. He also says the men who murdered Seamus Ludlow were said to be drunk, although he himself was never a heavy drinker.
"During 1976 I was out of the country for a while and I went 'missing'. Many people thought I was dead. They thought I had been killed in a car crash in Guernsey."
He insists that the murder was linked to the name Mambo rather than his full name.
"The name Samuel Black Carroll was never mentioned in the interviews. It was always Mambo.
"There's only one person who carried that name in the whole of Ireland and that's me. The murder is associated with that name rather than me."
He has also said that while he supported the killing of known activists, he did not subscribe to the killing of innocent people.
"People who were not activists should not have been targeted."
Now living in England, although he doesn't have a permanent address, Carroll says he has severed his links with organised loyalism because of their increasing involvement with drugs.
Jimmy Sharkey, this week said he does not know why Carroll is speaking out now, particularly when authorities on both sides of the border have confirmed reports that Carroll's name was given to Gardai 25 years ago.
"I don't know what he's up to. Why wait until now to speak up? At a time when both police forces and Barron have confirmed his name was on the list of suspects from years ago.
"In my opinion, I think he is coming under pressure now. Perhaps he has been abandoned by his handlers. That would also be the reason for not having a permanent abode.
"He lists one of the Shankhill Butchers and Billy Wright as his best friends, so he was definitely protected for years."
The People, 29 February 2004: Ludlow suspect slams loyalists 'Drug dealers make me mad'
The Sunday Life, 29 February 2004: Loyalist terror suspect spurns former cause
Irish Daily Star (Northern Edition), 1 March 2004: Ludlow nephew calls on Justice Barron to locate bullets that killed his uncle Seamus in 1976
The Irish Daily Star (Northern Edition), 1 March 2004: 'Murder suspect is after publicity' Family speak out as 'Mambo' denies killing 'Mambo's linked himself to the killing'
The Irish News, 3 March 2004: Murder suspect 'on a sick ego trip'
The Dundalk Democrat, 6 March 2004: Suspect says he was not involved in Ludlow murder
Copyright © 2004 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: March 12, 2004 .