The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Daily Ireland, 10 September 2005:
Minister to raise murder
BY CONNOR McMORROW
Foreign affairs minister Dermot ahern is to raise the 1976 loyalist murder of Seamus Ludlow with the North's secretary of state Peter Hain.
the family of the Dundalk forestry worker, who was killed in May 1976, had Mr Ahern to find out why nobody was ever prosecuted for the crime.
The government is still studying legakl advice on the Barron report into the murder and is expected to refer the report to the Oireachtas justice committee in the near future.
A spokesman for Mr Ahern said: "The minister has always insisted that the full and complete truth must come out in relation to the entire Seamus Ludlow case.
"He will raise the matter with the Northern Ireland secretary at the earliest opportunity they have to meet."
Mr Ahern is travelling to New York tomorrow to prepare for the United Nations World Summit next week. He is not due back in Ireland until September 19.
He is expected to raise the matter with Mr Hain soon after.
The government is still considering the legal advice it received with the report by Me Justice Henry Barron into Mr Ludlow's murder.
A government spokesperson said: ""The report will be brought to cabinet in the near future.
"After that, it will go to an Oireachtas committee on justice, equality, defence and women'e rights, which will then publish it."
The inquest into Mr Ludlow's murder was told earlier this week that the then Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) arrested and questioned four men in relation to the crime in 1998.
Two of them independently gave evidence of how and where the murder was committed and admitted their role.
However, the Director of Public Prosecutions in the North decided not to press charges.
The inquest was also told that in 1979, the gardai the names and addresses of the same four men but Garda Headquarters didn't allow investigating gardai to carry out further inquiries.
The Ludlow family has always claimed there has been a cover-up both sides of the border following the murder.
In a statement this week the family said: "The Ludlow family's search for truth and justice is led by Kevin Ludlow, the only surviving brother of Seamus Ludlow.
"Kevin Ludlow has maintained close contacts with the Gardai ever since his brother was murdered in May 1976. On several occasions he was deliberately misled. He was even told that a member of his own family was involved in his late brother's murder.
"With his nephew Jimmy Sharkey, he has worked tirelessly to uncover the full truth behind his brother's murder and the reasons for the gardai's failure to solve the crime."
The family are now eagerly awaiting the publication of the Barron Report into Mr Ludlow's killing. They are also hoping for a positive reaction from Mr Hain after Mr Ahern's contact with him yesterday.
I Top I
See also: The Irish News, 7 September 2005: 'Gardai evidence strengthens case for public inquiry'
The Irish Independent, 7 September 2005: Ludlow family renew plea for murder inquiry
Daily Ireland, 7 September 2005: Call for public inquiry
The Belfast Telegraph, 7 September 2005: Probe call into 1976 murder
SUPPORT THE SEAMUS LUDLOW APPEAL FUNDBank of Ireland 78 Clanbrassil Street Dundalk County Louth Ireland
Account No. 70037984
Thank You. Print this page.
I Home I I Top I I First Ludlow Site I I Domain Name Site I I Questions I I Chronology I I Brief Review I I Profile I I Report I I Photographs I I Ludlow family's Letter to the RUC Chief Constable I I Latest Reports I I Hamilton Inquiry I I Contributors I I Linda Porra's Editorial I I Jim J. Kane's Letter to the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission I I Jim J. Kane's Letter to the RUC I I Press Release I I 25th Anniversary I Ludlow family letter to Bertie Ahern I I Ed Moloney Interview I I Meeting the Police Ombudsman I I Links I I New Guest Book I I E-Mail Form I I Mailing List I I Tell a Friend I Chronology: 1 2 3 4 5 6