Justice at last for the forgotten victims of sectarian murder in Dundalk
Search Allof Ireland.com
The Argus (Dundalk), 29 November 2006:
Final Joint Oireachtas Committee report out today
"Christmas spoiled forever" for Maura
"Christmas was spolied forever for me", says Maura McKeever, who buried her father Jack Rooney on Christmas Eve 1975 after he was fatally injured in the blast at Crowe Street.
As she prepares to make her way to Leinster House later today (Wednesday) the Dundalk woman said she is relieved that after 31 years the truth about the bombing is finally coming out.
"It is just hard to accept that it took this long for the truth to come out," added Maura, saying that she was very glad that efforts by both the Watters and Rooney families to find out what happened were finally paying off.
"But I know if we had not pushed for the Dundalk bombing to be investigated, this might never have come out," she said. "They never wanted us to say anything."
She added that she still felt strongly that there should have been no loss of life at all if warnings given by the RUC at that time had been listened to.
"But hundreds of people could have been killed or injured. It was lucky that there weren't a lot more people around when the bomb went off."
As with the family of Hugh Watters, Maura said she would wait to see what the final report by the Oireachtas Committee recommends before looking at the next step.
"I hope that the recommendation will be for a full public enquiry," said Maura, who explained that the families would not be given much time to digest the findings of the Committee before facing a press conference at Leinster House.
"All in all I think it will be another stepping stone. It won't end after the report is launched today."
I Top I
Download the Barron Report on the Dundalk bombing from the Oireachtas website.
I Top I
See early media reports from the http://www.breakingnews.ie/ dated 29 November 2006:
See also the following report from ireland.com: Barron finds British collusion in attacks
The Daily Telegraph, 29 November 2006: Ahern call for ‘collusion’ inquiry
Ulster Television News online, 29 November 2006:Green Party demand public inquiry
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: Government backs report on collusion in North
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: The nine attacks — a litany of terror and death
The Irish Examiner, 30 November 2006: ‘What we have heard today are things we have known for years’
The Irish Independent, 30 November 2006: British colluded in 'butchery'
The Irish Times, 30 November 2006: London must co-operate on collusion inquiries - Ahern
I Top I
Here is media coverage of the fourth Barron Report:
The Irish News, 5 July 2006: "Relatives 'furious' over Barron report blunder
See also The Irish News online breaking news, 5 July 2006: Pub bombers 'treated better than victims' families'
See also: Oireachtas press release of 5 July 2006.
Daily Ireland, 6 July 2006: Blast victim’s relative hits out
The Irish Examiner, 6 July 2006: Loyalists had licence to kill Catholics, finds inquiry
The Irish Independent, 6 July 2006: Bombers 'treated better than victims'
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Relatives want 1975 bombing inquiry
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Horror lives on for bar owner
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Report points to RUC reservist's farm as base for UVF operations
The Irish News, 6 July 2006: Hope that collusion theories may be brought to surface
The Irish Times, 6 July 2006: 1970s bombing victims complain of official neglect
LMFM Radio online news report, 6 July 2006: Hearings into report on Dundalk bombing to begin in September
TOM News, 6 July 2006: Latest Barron Report Highlights Need for Ahern-Blair Summit on Collusion
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Taoiseach urged to call summit
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Barron inquiry typically leaves more questions than answers Conclusion of report into collusion allegations between loyalists and the British government is 'unsatisfactory'
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Families to discuss Barron report
Daily Ireland, 7 July 2006: Garda probe questions raised
The Irish News of the World, 9 July 2006: Showband massacre: shocking new report Former cop behind plot
The Newry Democrat, 11 July 2006: Collusion summit call
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Gardai expected bomb at Imperial
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Barron Report is a step closer to the truth
The Dundalk Democrat, 12 July 2006: Families will continue their campaign for justice
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Inquiry lists 19 suspects
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Members of RUC and UDR probably knew about plan to bomb Dundalk
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Guide to names listed by inquiry
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: My father and family have been let down by the government
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Authorities reluctance to admit mistakes cost families heartache
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006:Joint Committee likely to hold series of hearings in autumn
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006: Sharp differences over fingermarks evidence
The Argus (Dundalk), 12 July 2006:Questions that still need answers
Daily Ireland, 13 July 2006: Justice Group seeks advice
I Top I
Produced in association with the Ludlow Family.
Last edited: 04 December 2006 14:50:26
Copyright © 2006 the Rooney, Watters and Ludlow families.
All rights reserved. Revised: December 04, 2006 .