The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 July 2002 - The Irish Attorney General has directed the Coroner for County Louth to hold a fresh inquest into the death of Seamus Ludlow.  . . . . Please return for updates and important developments.    This photograph of Seamus Ludlow was taken later in his life.This is a youthful photograph of Seamus Ludlow, taken several years before his murder.This memorial stone marks the place where the dead body of Seamus Ludlow was discovered on Sunday 2nd. May, 1976. This new stone recently replaced another stone.

 

Home

Intro.

Introduction    to the             murder of       Seamus           Ludlow and     the official     cover-up.       

Frequently asked Questions.

Brief Review.

Profile.

Michael Cunningham investigation - 1978

Witness Account 1998

Ludlow Family account 1998.

Chronology.

Photographs.

The recent     Campaign       for Truth and  Justice.          

Latest Reports.

25th Anniversary.

Louth County Council Support.

BIRW Report.

BIRW Update Message.

Irish Victims Commission Report.

Hamilton - Barron  Inquiry

Ludlow family's questions for the RUC (now the PSNI).

Contributors.

Linda Porra's Editorial.

Jim J. Kane's letter to the N I Human Rights Commission.

Jim J. Kane's letter to the RUC

Press Release 

Ed Moloney radio Interview.

Ludlow Family Letter to Bertie Ahern 

Meeting the Police Ombudsman

A Fresh Inquest

Celtic League Support

Press Coverage.

Links.

New guestmap Guest Book

View messages from our original Guestbook

Mailing List

E-Mail Form

Tell a Friend

Search this Site.

 

Other          Ludlow        Family         Sites.          

First Ludlow Site

Domain Name Site

The Dundalk Bombing

 

 

 

Search Allof Ireland.com

 

Celtic League, 21 September 2002:



CELTIC LEAGUE PRESS INFORMATION


AHERN LUDLOW MURDER RESPONSE DISAPPOINTING

"almost as if casting a light on the darker side of these British Special Operations in Ireland was now an embarrassment to be set aside".

The Taoiseach has deflected concerns expressed by the Celtic League about his governments failure to concede a full public enquiry into the death of Co. Louth Forestry Worker, Seamus Ludlow.

The Celtic League had written to Mr. Ahern following consideration of the issue at the organisations AGM held on the Isle of Man in July. The League have, for sometime, supported calls by the family of Mr. Ludlow, for a full independent public enquiry into his murder in 1976.

In July League Secretary General, Bernard Moffatt, told the AGM that there were substantial allegations that the murder was committed by a loyalist murder gang which may have had links to British Security Services in the North of Ireland. The issue is one of a number of unresolved killings and bombings thought to be linked to the British Intelligence Services. He went on to express a view that there seemed in some instances to be almost a conspiracy to frustrate those organisations, mainly relatives groups, in Ireland anxious to learn the truth about the activities of the British Intelligence Services and their surrogates from the Loyalist paramilitary groups who killed, bombed and maimed in the 1970s. It was almost as if casting a light on the darker side of these British Special Operations in Ireland was now an embarrassment
to be set aside.

It was resolved that:

Whilst welcoming the decision of Attorney General, Rory Brady, to instruct the Coroner for County Louth, Mr. Ronan Maguire BL, to hold an inquest into the death of Seamus Ludlow, the Celtic League reiterates its support for the Ludlow families request for a full and independent public enquiry."

A response from David Feeney Private Secretary to the Taoiseach says:

"In reply the Taoiseach has asked me to say that earlier this year the Government asked former Supreme Court Judge, Henry Barron who is also examining the Dublin, Monaghan and Dundalk bombings to carry out an examination of the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the circumstances surrounding it. Judge Barron is due to report in the near future and the government is committed to publishing his report. It is intended that the report will be considered by the Oireachtas which will recommend as to what if any form of public examination will be required".

The reply is extremely disappointing. Experience tells us that selective examination of matters of this nature, however eminent the Justice involved, lack the 'cauterising' ability of a full public enquiry to unearth the truth.

Bernard Moffatt

Secretary General

Celtic League

21/09/02



The Celtic League has branches in the six Celtic Countries. It works to promote cooperation between these countries and campaigns on a broad range of political, cultural and environmental matters. It focuses on human rights abuse and civil liberty issues and also monitors the impact of military activity.

TEL + (0)1624 877918 MOBILE + (0)7624 491609

Internet site at

http://www.manxman.co.im/cleague/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celtic_league/

b.moffatt@advsys.co.im

I Homepage I I Top I I Press Coverage I I BIRW Report II Barron Inquiry I I Terms of reference for Barron Inquiry I I Fresh Inquest I I New Guest Book I

Previous Statements from the Celtic League

No.164  MURDER GANG ENQUIRY CALL - 10/30/2000

No.239  LUDLOW MURDER - PROPOSALS SOON - 2/1/2001

No.346  LUDLOW - GOVT URGED TO HEED ENQUIRY CALL - 4/30/2001

No.362  MINISTER EVASIVE ON LUDLOW QUERY - 5/15/2001

LUDLOW MURDER DRAMATIC DEVELOPMENT - 07/17/02 

LOUTH MURDER - ENQUIRY CALL SUPPORT - 07/28/02

                                Press Reports

The Argus, 27 August 1976: Inquest hears of North Louth shooting

Monaghan County of Intrigue (1979) by the late Michael Cunningham: Quoting from Mr. Cunningham's account of his private investigation of Seamus Ludlow's murder. 

The Argus, special report 30 August 1985: On May 1st 1974, a forestry worker left his home to go for a drink: the following day his bullet riddled body was found. Nine years later we ask: WHO KILLED SEAMUS LUDLOW?

The Irish Independent, 19 July 2002: Fresh inquest into death of murdered man

The Irish News, 19 July 2002: Family welcome inquest 26 years after murder

The Irish Times, 19 July 2002: New inquest ordered into Louth man's death

The Dundalk Democrat, 20 July 2002: Second inquest to be held into the death of Seamus Ludlow

The Irish Examiner Online - Breaking News, 29 July 2002: Call for public inquiry into 1976 murder

 

Visitors are welcome to leave messages on our New Guest Book

 

 

Please use one of these

Click here to Bookmark our Site!   Print this page.  

Make us your homepage! Internet Explorer Only.

 

Copyright 2003 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.
Revised: January 12, 2003 .