The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Irish Times, 18 May 2002:
1974 bomb victims remembered in Dublin ceremony
Bereaved families and survivors of the bombings in Dublin and Monaghan gathered yesterday to mark the 28th anniversary at a wreath-laying ceremony.
On May 17th, 1974 the bombings claimed 33 lives and caused serious injury to hundreds.
Yesterday in Dublin, over 200 people stood in torrential rain at the Talbot Street memorial to those who died. The ceremony was also attended by the families of victims of other atrocities, who laid floral tributes.
One wreath from the Omagh Victims' Group said: "We share solidarity with you in your search for justice."
Mr Patrick Fay who lost his father, also Patrick, in the Dublin bombings addressed the crowd and said they were gathered there at the Talbot Street memorial where the second of the three Dublin bombs exploded. He said 33 lives were lost in Dublin and Monaghan.
"Twenty-eight years later it is heartening to see so many people assembled here and we hope that such a cruel deed will never happen again," Mr Fay said.
He paid tribute to those people who had travelled so far to attend the memorial, members of the Bloody Sunday, Omagh, and Dundalk families, the Ludlow family and the Castleblayney family, as well as the families of the December 1972 and January 1973 Dublin bombings who were part of the Justice for the Forgotten.
After Mr Fay's address, a piper played a lament as wreaths were laid led by the Taoiseach, Mr Ahern, on behalf of the State, and later the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Mr Michael Mulcahy. Others present included the Attorney General, Mr Michael McDowell, and representatives from the Italian and French embassies, SIPTU and IMPACT.
The laying of the floral tributes was followed by a minute's silence at the end of which the Last Post was played. Later, the families attended a Mass at the Pro-Cathedral.
After the wreath-laying ceremony, the families said they hoped Mr Justice Barron of the independent commission looking into the atrocities would recommend a public inquiry along the lines of the Bloody Sunday tribunal.
Ms Alice O'Brien lost four members of her family: her sister, Anna, her brother-in-law John and their two young children, Jacqueline and Anne Marie in the Dublin bombing.
Ms O'Brien said she was happy with the way Judge Barron's report was coming along. "We hope Judge Barron recommends a public inquiry," Ms O'Brien said.
Mr Fay said it was hoped Judge Barron's report would be finalised by September. He said he wanted the outcome to be a public inquiry.
Green MEP Ms Patricia McKenna, who is from Co Monaghan, said the onus was on the Government and members of past governments to put pressure on the British to get all information concerning the inquiry.
Public meetings on the Dublin and Monaghan bombings will be held on Monday, May 20th in the Minor Hall, Magee College, Derry from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. entitled "Do we need a Truth Commission?"; and at St Mary's University College, Falls Road, Belfast, on Tuesday, May 21st from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
The victims of the Dublin bombings were: John O'Brien (23); Anne O'Brien (22); Jacqueline O'Brien (17 months); Anne Marie O'Brien (5 months); Anne Massey (21); Anne Byrne (35); Simone Chertrit (30); John Dargle; Patrick Fay (47); Antonio Magliocco (36); Anne Marren (20); Colette Doherty (21); Christina O'Loughlin (51); Edward O'Neill (39); Marie Phelan (20); Maureen Shiels (44); Breda Turner (21); Marie Butler; Breda Grace (35); Mary McKenna; Siobhán Rice (19); Dorothy Morris; John Walsh (27); Elizabeth Fitzgerald (59); Josephine Bradley (21) and Concepta Dempsey (65).
The victims of the Monaghan bombing were: John Travers (29); Margaret White (46); Thomas Campbell (52); Patrick Askin (53); George Williamson (73); Archibald Harper (72) and Thomas Croarkin (35).
The Dundalk Democrat, 22 December 2001: Dundalk bomb victims' families still waiting on public inquiry
The Dundalk Democrat, 26 January 2002: Blayney bombing to feature in new book
The Dundalk Democrat, 18 May 2002: Book claims to identify Dundalk bombers
Last Edited : 19 May 2002
© 2002 the Ludlow family. All rights reserved.