The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Irish News, 20 October 1999:
Relatives reject "cover-up" inquiry
Relatives of Seamus Ludlow have demanded that the Irish government reverse a controversial decision to hold in private an inquiry into his 1976 killing.
The call came after it was decided not to charge four men in relation to the murder after almost a year of deliberations.
Mr Ludlow, a 47-year-old forestry worker, is believed to have been randomly abducted and killed by loyalists as he hitch-hiked home from Dundalk.
Allegations of a cover-up involving security forces on both sides of the border have persisted ever since, fuelled by the account of a Co Down man detailing his innocent role in the events.
Last month Taoiseach Bertie Ahern announced a new private investigation would be held headed by a former supreme court judge.
But news that the northern DPP has now decided not to prosecute four men arrested early last year in relation with the killing has led to renewed pressure for a full public inquiry.
Relatives of Mr Ludlow reacted furiously yesterday to the decision and said they were "totally opposed" to any inquiry held only in private.
"As a family we're disgusted. We don't know yet what our options are legally, but we are not going to accept this," said nephew Michael Donegan.
"Clearly there is no political will to find these killers...Where is the justice?
The Sunday Tribune, Sunday 17 October 1999, by Ed Moloney: North's DPP has decided not to charge Loyalists arrested in connection with Ludlow killing
The Dundalk Democrat, 21 October 1999: Private enquiries into Ludlow murder and Dundalk bombing
An Phoblacht/Republican News, 4 November 1999: Taoiseach to "reassess'' Ludlow case