The Murder of Seamus Ludlow in County Louth, May 1976. Towards a public inquiry?
Introduction to the murder of Seamus Ludlow and the official cover-up.
The recent Campaign for Truth and Justice.
Other Ludlow Family Sites.
The Examiner, 27 October 1998:
Public Inquiry into murder of Seamus Ludlow expected to open soon
Civil Rights Group Report ready by New Year
The details surrounding the murder of Seamus Ludlow, 22 years ago, may soon be revealed as a public inquiry could soon be opened, according to his nephew.
Michael Donegan has said he is sure the file on the death of his uncle in May 1976 may soon be released, as it was revealed that the RUC has submitted its report to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Since the abduction and murder of Mr. Ludlow (47) near his Dundalk home, his family has been unrelenting in their search for the truth.
Accounts about the murder have always been considered suspicious, due to the fact that the killing had apparently been carried out by the Provisional IRA.
But after Mr Ludlow's funeral it had been made clear by a number of leading republicans that the IRA had nothing to do with his murder, although rumours spread by the security forces alleged that he had been killed because he was an informer.
A file which had been compiled by both the Gardai and the RUC has never been made public, arousing further suspicion as to who had actually carried out the killing.
The names of at least three known loyalists were given to the Gardai by the RUC, but no one has ever been convicted of the murder.
Earlier this year, however, four men were detained and questioned in connection with Mr Ludlow's murder, but were later released without charge.
Mr Donegan said his family only wants to get to the truth about what happened, so his uncle's name can be cleared and allegations suggesting he was an informer can be dropped.
In an effort to get to the bottom of the mystery and reveal the truth, Seamus Ludlow's family has contacted a number of organizations, throughout the world, to put pressure on the British and Dublin governments to reveal the contents of the file.
Mr Donegan wrote to his MP, SDLP representative for Newry and Armagh and Deputy First Minister, Seamus Mallon for help. But he said the MP has not, as yet, replied. Mr Donegan also contacted former Labour Cabinet Minister, Tony Benn for help.
In a letter from Mr Benn's Private Secretary, Mr Donegan was informed that the politician had contacted the Northern Ireland Office. The letter said that every effort is being made and that the RUC and Gardai were still investigating the 1976 murder.
But although the letter echoes what has already been said by the other government officials from the NIO, no actual progress has been made by the government to appease the Ludlow family.
It is now hoped that a report being compiled by an independent civil rights group called British Irish Rights Watch will be ready by the New Year.
the group has written to the DPP to confirm that he has received the file and has asked Alasdair Frazer, CB QC, to give a date as to when he is likely to make a decision, regarding prosecution, if indeed he has received the file.
See also: The Sunday Tribune, Sunday 17 October 1999, by Ed Moloney: North's DPP has decided not to charge Loyalists arrested in connection with Ludlow killing